1.What is Infertility?
- An inability of a couple to conceive even after unprotected intercourse for one year.
2.Is Infertility only because of female?
- No, this problem happens due to both the Male and Female. 35% is because of Female, 35% is because of Male and 30% reasons are unknown.
3. How much time should you wait before consulting a doctor?
Please consult a doctor as early as possible if any of the below-mentioned symptoms persist:-
- If a couple is unable to conceive even after unprotected intercourse for one year
- If the age of the Female is above 30 years
- If the Female has pain in menstrual cycle
- If there are miscarriages and abortions in the past
- If the cycles are irregular
- If the husband has low sperm count.
4.Which are the suitable days for conception?
The day when the periods start is considered to be the first day. An egg is formed on 14th day (+/- 2 days) and it remains alive for 24 hours. Sperm is alive for 48 to 72 hours. 10th to 16th day of cycle is considered good for intercourse and the best time for conception (Fertile Period)
5. What is IVF?
IVF is a procedure wherein healthy egg of a female is fertilized with husband’s sperms, an embryo is formed outside the body and thereafter it is placed in the uterus of the female after 2 to 3 days.
6. When is IVF required?
- If female’s both fallopian tubes are blocked.
- There has been no success even after 3-4 trials of intrauterine insemination (IUI).
- Husband and wife are unable to conceive in spite of having normal reports.
- Old age females whose menstrual cycles have stopped.
- If the motility or shape of sperms is not normal.
- If the female or the male have antibodies to sperms.
- Unexplained infertility.
7. What is the age for IVF?
It can be done at any age, but 18 Yrs to 40 Yrs age is considered good for best results. Right age is up to 35 Yrs, because 38 yrs onwards eggs formation decreases and good quality eggs are not formed.
In case of older age or after menopause, donor eggs can be used.
8. How many times can we do IVF?
- IVF can be done as many times as wished by the couple.
- IVF is a costly procedure and the cost of every cycle is roughly the same.
- To increase the chances of conception, IVF should be done at least 3 times.
- The chances of conception are 25% to 30% first time, 30% to 45% second time and approximately 60% third time. (Note: Chances of success of conception depend on the age of the female. Chances of conception are more for younger females as compared to older females. After 40 yrs of age chances of conception are 10 to 15 %.)